The New York Wine & Grape Foundation is pleased to announce the release of a Mission Statement, Vision Statement and Objectives for our new statewide sustainability program. These guiding statements were collectively developed by our Grower Sustainability Advisory Committee and Sustainability Program Manager. “Much discussion and deliberation were involved in defining the triple bottom line of sustainability for the New York Wine and Grape Industry” said Program Manager, Whitney Beaman. “Our mission and objectives align with our shared definition and principles of sustainability through our partnership with U.S. Sustainable Winegrowing and capture our broader vision of advancing environmental stewardship, social equity, and economic viability within our local industry.” A complete list of guiding statements and objectives can be found below:
Our mission is to advance the environmental, social, and economic sustainability of New York’s wine and grape industry through regionally defined sustainability standards, third-party certification, grower education, and stakeholder engagement.
Our vision is to elevate New York State as a world class wine and grape region that protects the environment, conserves natural resources, and improves the lives of stakeholders.
- To promote the use of practices that reduce reliance on off-farm inputs.
- To build, regenerate, and conserve healthy soils for future generations.
- To improve energy efficiency and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- To encourage healthy ecosystems, biodiversity, and wildlife habitat.
- To protect surrounding reservoirs and waterways from pollutants.
- To conserve natural resources, reduce waste streams, and recycle.
- To increase climate resiliency and promote climate-smart farming.
- To provide education and pathways for continuous improvement.
- To foster a socially equitable and economically viable industry.